We are a small group, generally about 3 or 4 people, and run in a very informal manner.
We discuss using PCs running Windows 7, 8, or 10. Our sessions are based around a Question and Answer format designed to help U3A members who are learning how to use their computers for the first time and also members who have used PCs for a while, but would like to learn about using new programs.
Owing to COVID19 restrictions the group is not currently holding meetings. However, group members are invited to contact Keith with any questions.
Group contact: Keith Southgate
Telephone: 01208 873371
3rd JUNE 2020
Over the past year, members of the computer group have spent many a happy hour(!) investigating ways to edit pdf files.
Thanks to U3a Beacon Forum I have been alerted to AbleWord as a way of importing pdf files into word format.
The program is about 5 years old but works as well, if not better. than any other pdf conversion program I have tried.
Details at http://www.ableword.net/pdfeditor.html.
Well worth investigating if you have few spare minutes during the lockdown.
Regards and keep safe,
11th MAY 2020
No meetings currently being held.
Group members are welcome to contact Keith if they have any PC related problems or questions.
Report from Meeting on 4th March 2020
Report from Meeting on 19th February 2020
Only two people gathered around the kitchen table at our meeting yesterday. The person who came to Keith's has just moved house and we discussed setting up a new hub, PC plus a couple of mobile phones at the new location.
We also looked at various ways of reading emails via a PC using both the built-in Windows 10 App and via a web browser.
Finally, we downloaded and installed Libre Office as an alternative to Microsoft Word. We were careful to ensure the site we used for downloading was https://www.libreoffice.org/download/download/ Other download sites such as softonic are full of adverts and confusing download buttons which do not relate to Libre Office and can easily result in the unwary downloading unwanted programs.
The next meeting takes place on Wednesday 4th March 2020 at 2pm.
Report from Meeting on 5th February 2020
We looked at a number of small topics at this meeting rather than one major subject as is often the case.
Aspects covered include:-
- Clearing the print queue when using Ubuntu operating system
- Updating GMail Contact lists and producing a Mailing List based on these contacts
- Retrieving deleted emails
- Ways of adding read receipts to emails. (A possible solution at https://www.boomeranggmail.com)
- Uploading photos attached to emails to Google Photos
The next meeting will take place on Wednesday 19th February at 2pm
Report from Meeting on 8th January 2020
Three members of the group attended the meeting on Wednesday 8th January, our first meeting for over a month.
- Two members of the group had recently received messages from Lloyds Bank advising that the passwords they were using no longer satisfied the bank's updated security requirement and more sophisticated passwords were needed. We updated passwords as requested. We also deleted an unwanted payee from one of the bank accounts.
- We then looked at the work round needed when sharing photos stored in Google Photos with a person who does not hold a google account.
- One of our members has the role of a Group co-ordinator and we updated details of some of her Group Members on Beacon and subsequently downloaded a partially redacted spreadsheet /pdf version of the membership list, which we emailed to Group members.
The next meeting will be held on 5th February at 2pm.