Welcome to the Lostwithiel Area University of the Third Age
We are a U3A Group located in South East Cornwall drawing our members mostly from Lostwithiel and the surrounding areas of Lerryn, Lanlivery, East and West Taphouse, Bodmin and Fowey.
U3A stands for the University of the Third Age, which is a self-help organisation for people who are retired, semi-retired or no longer in full time employment providing educational, creative and leisure opportunities in a friendly environment.
U3As are charities in their own right and are run entirely by volunteers. Local U3As are learning cooperatives who draw upon the knowledge, experience and skills of their own members to organise and provide interest groups in accordance with the wishes of the membership.
The Group is run by an Executive Committee and each activity group is facilitated by a Co-ordinator. We currently have about 20 groups. Meetings are either held in members' homes or local halls.
In addition to group activities, under normal circumstances, a regular open meeting is also held, in which a guest speaker is invited to give a talk to the whole U3A.
UPDATE 13th DECEMBER 2020
Eleven teams consisting of 22 members of Lostwithiel U3A joined our Christmas Quiz held on 11th December. Our Chairman Chris was in fine form as Quizmaster Santa. The Quiz consisted of three rounds of general questions followed by a round of questions concentrating on Lostwithiel U3A.
For those unable to attend the quiz here are the first round questions to whet your appetite:-
Quiz Questions - Round One General Knowledge
1.Which is the longest river in the world
2. Who has the most UK number one singles
3. What year was the great fire of London
4. What role does Dominic Raab hold in the UK government
5. What year was the film Titantic released
6. Who is the CEO of Ryanair
7. Which actor played the role of James Bond the most
8. Which US state has the biggest population
9.Which country has won the Eurovision Song contest the most
10 What is the most consumed manufacture drink in the world
11. What does Bridget Jones name her baby in the film’s third instalment
12. The Denier scale is used to denote the density of what
13. What is the capital of Chile
14. In what year was the first iphone released
15.When is St George’s Day
16. Beirut is the capital of what country
17. How many hearts does an octopus have
18. What is the currency in Turkey
19. Which side of the road do they drive in Australia
20. What does G.I.F stand for
During the interval, we were entertained with a song from Alan and Christine, which you can view here.